- Town Clerk
- Freedom of Information (FOIL)
Freedom of Information (FOIL)
In the Town Clerk's office, we strive to help our Town government be as transparent as possible. As such, we post many of our public records online.
Interested in a specific property in the Town? While we do not send parcel history and permit information by email, you are welcome to view the property file, and obtain copies of any information contained therein, in the Building Department. Please call them to schedule an appointment at your convenience at 914-381-7830. You can also find rough floor plans and other information using the Property Information button at the bottom of this page.
If you would like another type of Town record, the quickest way to process a FOIL request is via our online form: Freedom of Information Request. You may also stop by our office to fill out a FOIL request form in person. In either case, please be as specific as possible in describing the requested records, including all relevant dates, names, descriptions, locations, etc.
Within five business days of receiving your written request, we will either send you the record, deny the request in writing, or provide you with the timeframe in which we intend to provide the record. If you haven't heard back from us within five business days, please give us a call at 914-381-7870.
Sometimes records you request will require a fee to be paid. If that is the case, you will be notified prior to the records being released to you. Unless a different fee is otherwise prescribed by statute, Public Officers Law §87(1) authorizes an agency to charge a fee of 25¢ per copy for copies of records up 9”x 14”, or the actual cost of reproducing a record. In determining the actual cost of producing a record, an agency may include only:
- an amount equal to the hourly salary attributed to the lowest paid agency employee who has the necessary skill required to prepare the requested record(s), if at least two hours of agency employee time is needed to prepare a copy of the record requested;
- the actual cost of the storage devices or media provided to the person making the request in complying with such request; and
- the actual cost to the agency of engaging an outside professional service to prepare a copy of a record, but only when an agency's information technology equipment is inadequate to prepare a copy, if such service is used to prepare the copy.
Once the requested records are prepared, you may receive the records via email, fax, paper, CD/DVD, or USB. Records are available for inspection, by appointment, on business days between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM at the Town Clerk's Office, 740 West Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck, NY 10543.
Right to Appeal
Under provisions of the Public Officers Law, you may appeal a FOIL determination. If you desire to submit such an appeal, you must do so within 30 days of the written response to your FOIL request. Please include a copy of the original request for records, a copy of the FOIL response letter you received, and your appeal letter to:
740 West Boston Post Road
Mamaroneck, NY 10543
You will be informed in writing of the decision within ten business days of our receipt of such an appeal.
Tips for submitting a FOIL request:
- Be as specific as possible in describing the requested records. Include relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.
- Specify whether you would like to inspect the records or have copies of the records sent to you.
- If records are available, specify how you want them sent, i.e., via US mail, email or fax. We may choose to send the records by U.S. mail, if you have requested a large volume of records, for security or other important reasons. We will notify you of any charge for reproducing such records before they are sent to you.
- Include your email, mailing address and fax number, as well as a telephone number where you can be reached during business hours, if it is necessary to clarify your request.
- Please note that the agency is not required to create a new record in response to FOIL requests.