On May 17, 1788, the Town of Mamaroneck was officially created by an act of the New York State Legislature. 18th and 19th Century residents earned their livelihoods by farming, fishing, lumbering and milling. Manufacturing arrived with the 19th century and most was located (as it is today) in the Mamaroneck Village section. Larchmont Village and the Unincorporated Town were, and largely remain, residential.
The Town of Mamaroneck includes the entire Village of Larchmont (one square mile), the Unincorporated Area (5.7 square miles which is not part of either village), and that part of the Village of Mamaroneck west of the Mamaroneck River bordering Rye Neck (2.3 square miles). Both the incorporated villages and the unincorporated Town are self-governing and define the Town as a political and governmental subdivision of the State of New York.
Town Government & Administration
The Town Board is vested by New York State with control of legislation, appropriation of monies and decision-making on general local governmental policies. The Town Board appoints a Town Administrator to serve as the Chief Administrative Officer.